Monday, May 2, 2011

Cheap and Chic Kitchen: Weight Watchers Style

This is not an outfit post. So if you were expecting clothing, I'm sorry. No clothes today. :) I did get dressed and take pics, but I am more interested in my dinner than my clothes tonight. So, food it is. Also, the only pic I managed to take was blurry. You don't want to see blurry pics of me in black leggings and rain boots.

As, I have mentioned before a time or three, I am doing weight watchers. I am also on a budget, so I don't have their cookbook, cause really people, it is too expensive. For the most part, I fix what I like, figure the points and make adjustments where needed. So, here is the process/recipe for Poppy seed Chicken (minus the poppy seeds).

Poppy seed chicken is a ridiculously fattening dish - cream of chicken soup, sour cream, ritz crackers, butter, cheese. So when I found the recipe, I was a little daunted. However, I found low-fat or fat free versions of everything but the cheese. (There is fat free cheese, but it doesn't melt and is generally icky.) Although the lower fat/calorie version fits into my points requirement, it doesn't taste quite as good. It was still very tasty, just not quite as tasty as it could have been.

Ingredients

  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (I only had three)
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted (Promise fat free)
  • 1 sleeve buttery round crackers (such as Ritz®), crushed (reduced fat)
  • 1 teaspoon poppy seeds, or more if desired (I didn't have any poppy seeds)
  • 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream (low fat)
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup (98% fat free)
  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (I only used 1 cup)

Start with 4 chicken breasts (I only had three, use what you have). Put in a big pot, cover with water, bring to boil on high heat, then reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 20 -25 minutes until chicken is no longer pink in the center.

Using two forks (you could use your hands, but the chicken is quite hot) shred the chicken.



Melt the butter, crush the crackers and mix together. If you aren't on a diet, definitely use the regular version of crackers and butter. Without the fat the topping doesn't get as crispy as it should.


Mix soup and sour cream together, layer half the mixture on the bottom of your casserole dish, add shredded chicken, layer the rest of the soup mixture on top. Or you could just mix the whole mess together. Whatever works for you.


 Add shredded cheese and cracker mixture. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes until cracker mixture is brown and the cheese is melted.


Add some veggies, cause just the chicken stuff does not a balanced meal make. The beloved requested green beans next time. Inside the casserole. I can do that. Anyway, we enjoyed it. For four servings (which is actually a pretty gimongous - yes, I know that isn't a word - helping) it is 9 points. For six servings it is 6 points. Reasonable and tasty.

Night ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think! I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...