Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Comfy, Cozy & Content




Happy Tuesday, y'all! Let me first take this opportunity to let you know that I am aware that this ginormous cozy sweater is not the most flattering item of clothing. That said, it is one of the most comfy. It is soooo warm and soft and it covers my rear. I'm going to be real here. I realize that the entire fashion world believes that everything we wear should make us look taller and slimmer and more fabulous. Here's the thing. I am not tall. I am not slim. And I am very ordinary (not fabulous). And while I am always happy to look my best, my appearance is just not the most important thing in my life. (I realize how contradictory this is considering I have a style blog.) I spent most of my twenties believing the lie that my worth as a woman was tied up in the way that I looked. In spite of the fact that I had a husband who loved me for the woman I am and not the way I look, I felt ugly. I just didn't live up to the image. You know the one. The sexy, perfect, airbrushed model in the magazine. I will never be that. After I had my kiddo I probably looked worse than I ever have in my life. (Having babies does really bad things to bodies, especially petite bodies that don't have room.) But, I was born to be a mother. And for the first time in years I felt good about myself. I  began to realize how unimportant my appearance is in the grand scheme of things. And how absurd it is to be so worried about being 'sexy' when I already have the best man in the world love me. And that my worth as person, as woman is so much deeper than my skin. I am a child of God, created in His image. He has given me a purpose on this earth and a family to love and be loved by. And so, while I still struggle with feeling chubby, hating my hair, bemoaning my acne (in my 30s for pete's sake!) and sometimes wishing I looked better, the truth is, I have mostly come to a point of contentment with me. In all my imperfections.  What was the point of all that? Just that sometimes I want to wear comfy clothes that feel good. And this sweater makes me feel good, whether it makes me look good or not. ;)

(I realize this makes my dieting and exercising sound hypocritical, but I am petite and my body doesn't deal well with extra weight. It makes my joints hurt and I end up exhausted and miserable and unable to keep up with my very active preschooler.)

Do you ever wear unflattering clothing because it is comfy or makes you feel good?

Linking up with Watch What I'm Wearing and Real Girl Style.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think! I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...